|Type of business||Private|
Type of site
|Social network service|
|Available in||Indian, English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Turkish, Thai, Romanian, Russian, Polish, Italian, Indonesian|
|Headquarters||Krakow, Poland, New York, New York|
|No. of locations||2|
|Key people||Michał Borkowski, Tomasz Kraus|
|Current status||Active [ONLINE]|
Brainly is a multinational educational technology company based in Krakow, Poland and New York, United States. Brainly operates a group of social learning networks for students and educators. It has over 100 million unique users monthly from over 35 countries (as of January 2018). The first website launched in 2009 in Poland under the name Zadane.pl. Brainly inspires students to share and explore knowledge in a collaborative community, and engage in peer-to-peer educational assistance. The network has elements of gamification in the form of motivational points and ranks, and encourages users to engage in the online community by asking questions and answering those of other students.
Brainly is a social learning community for students that encourages collaborative learning. It is a social media platform strictly connected to education and learning. It uses social networking features to connect users who intend to share their knowledge within the online community. The site is dedicated to Middle School, High School, and College students, as well as teachers, parents and other educators. Brainly is a free Q&A website customized for each country of operation, but offers a paid program to view verified answers, which are handpicked by moderators. The goal is to inspire students to learn within a collaborative environment and expand their knowledge by focusing primarily on homework help. Brainly users come from over 35 countries, and the total size of community is 100 million unique users monthly by January 2017. Brainly operates as a desktopwebsite, iOS app and Android apps.
Initially called Zadane.pl, the company was founded in 2009 in Poland by Michał Borkowski (current chief executive officer), Tomasz Kraus and Łukasz Haluch. The first million unique users monthly was achieved within 6 months after the release. In January 2011, the company announced Znanija.com, the first international project dedicated to Russian language speakers. Several other versions in multiple languages for the following markets included Turkey (eodev.com), Latin America and Spain (brainly.lat) and Brazil (brainly.com.br). In December 2013, seven new language versions of Brainly were released, include the English language (brainly.com), Indonesian (brainly.co.id), Indian (brainly.in), Filipino (brainly.ph), Thai language (brainly-thailand.com),Romanian (brainly.ro) and Italian (brainly.it) sites. Brainly was initially funded by the co-founders, but then raised funds from Point Nine Capital and Business Angels in 2012. In October 2014, the company announced that it had raised another round of funding from General Catalyst Partners, Runa Capital and other venture capital firms. The total amount of the investment was $9 million and allowed further product development, as well as the opening of the US-based headquarters in New York City.
In May 2016, another funding round of $18 million of combined debt and equity was disclosed. In June 2016, Brainly acquired the US-based OpenStudy.
In October 2017, Brainly raised $14 million in the funding round led by Kulczyk Investments. The total funds raised by the company since its establishment, is reported to be $38.5 million. In January 2018, Brainly announced it had acquired the video education start-up, Bask, to bring video technology to the Brainly platform.
Brainly provides questions and answers for students looking for help with homework-related tasks. They can post questions to the community, who offer help in return. Users may post comments to every question and answer and can freely collaborate on problems. All questions are categorized by subject, respective of country and school level.
Each user is given a fixed amount points upon registration, which they can use to ask questions. Points are mainly earned by answering questions, however there are specific activities, which can earn a user additional points. Each respondent is awarded half of the points given by the inquirer for each answer. Additionally, the author of the question gets the chance to choose one of the answers as the best (for the "Brainliest" award), which awards both the authors of the question and the answer additional points. The website also features rankings (daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly) of users with the highest number of points gained by answering questions respectively to the correct category chosen on the leaderboards. (“Brainliest Users”).
Social interactions between users are concentrated around a few functions of the platform: the chat/private messaging system, comments sections in user profiles and comments sections in the question threads. Whereas the first is used for private conversations between the users, the latter two are utilized for collaboration on questions and social interactions within the community. Each user can create their own network of connections by friending other users.
A group of users on the site are given the special designation of Moderator. Moderators are responsible for ensuring that the quality of questions, answers, and social interactions are extremely high on the site. Moderators also assist and guide users through the site and explain how the site works. There is an emergency Moderator contact list  for users that are trying to contact a Moderator with a site-related emergency. It consists of "mrwhite," "Powerlifter84," "JaySL," "Dasetka," "Greenrune113," "Insidious," and "Porshia."
- ^http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapid=217021518 "Company Overview of Zadane.pl sp. z o.o.", Bloomberg Businessweek, 27 May 2014. Retrieved on 28 May 2014
- ^Adam, Łopusiewicz. http://mamstartup.pl/aktualnosci/4984/54-swiata-do-konca-roku-brainly "54% świata do końca roku - Brainly", Mam Startup, 8 January 2014. Retrieved on 27 May 2014
- ^"Brainly.com - For students. By students". brainly.com. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- ^https://www.knowledgepool.com/knowledge-centre/social-learning-taster.pdfSocial Learning Discoveries Report Autumn 2012
- ^ abMoser, Shay. http://socialmediatoday.com/shaybmoser/2211406/brainly-customer-community-student-support "Social Startups: Brainly Is the Customer Community for Student Support", Socialmedia Today, 27 February 2014. Retrieved on 28 May 2014
- ^"Brainly.co - For students. By students". brainly.co. Retrieved 2016-03-07.
- ^Degeler, Andrii. http://thenextweb.com/insider/2014/03/17/crowdsourced-school-homework-brainly-plans-take-us-market-success-europe/ "Crowdsourced school homework: How Brainly plans to teach the US after success in Europe", The Next Web, 17 March 2014. Retrieved on 28 May 2014
- ^Millward, Steven. http://www.techinasia.com/crowdsourced-homework-helper-brainly-launches-asia/ "Crowdsourced homework helper Brainly brings the answers to Asia"], Tech in Asia, 15 April 2014. Retrieved on 20 May 2014.
- ^O'Hear, Steve. https://techcrunch.com/2012/09/12/social-learning-network-brainly-raises-500k-from-point-nine-capital-angels/ "Social Learning Network Brainly Raises $500k from Point Nine Capital, Angiels", TechCrunch, 12 September 2012. Retrieved on 28 May 2014
- ^http://www.pointninecap.com/brainly, Point Nine Capital
- ^O'Hear, Steve. "Schoolwork Q&A Site Brainly Scores $9M Series A To Answer The U.S. Expansion Question". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- ^PRNewswire. https://www.cnbc.com/id/102089516#. "Brainly Expands to U.S. with $9M Venture Funding Led by General Catalyst", "CNBC", 15 October 2014. Retrieved on 19 October 2014
- ^CNBC.com, Elaine Pofeldt, special to. "Guess where a big crop of unicorns is coming from". CNBC. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- ^"Form D: Notice of Exempt Offering of Securities". US Securities and Exchange Commission. 25 May 2016. Retrieved 3 October 2016. }
- ^"Brainly Acquires US Social Learning Platform, OpenStudy - EdSurge News". EdSurge. 2016-06-14. Retrieved 2017-10-18.
- ^"Social Learning Platform OpenStudy Joins the Brainly Community". Press release. 14 June 2016. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- ^"EdTech Startup Brainly Closes $14 Million - NewsCenter.io". NewsCenter.io. 2017-10-26. Retrieved 2017-11-02.
- ^Shieber, Jonathan. "Brainly raises $14 million for its Quora-for-kids education tech". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-11-02.
- ^Coleman, Alison. https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisoncoleman/2014/05/16/global-ed-tech-disruption-from-poland-crowdsourced-homework/ "Global Ed-Tech Disruption From Poland: Crowdsourced Homework", Forbes, 16 May 2014. Retrieved on 21 May 2014.
- ^Johnson, Thomas. http://recode.net/2014/01/18/brainly-aims-to-bring-social-learning-to-u-s/ "Brainly Aims to Bring Social Learning to U.S.", re/code, 18 January 2014. Retrieved on 28 May 2014
- ^"Who are Moderators?". WHAT DO YOU NEED TO KNOW?. Retrieved 2016-03-07.
- ^"Emergency Moderator Contact List". WHAT DO YOU NEED TO KNOW?. Retrieved 2018-02-04.
Dimanche 4 mars s'est tenue la compétiton régionale apnée organisée sur le Comité FFESSM Pyrénées-Méditerranée : une ambiance chaleureuse et de beaux résultats.
Bravo à Pascal Solana pour son excellent travail organisation !
Merci à Walter Roque pour la qualité de sa formation de juges, et l'expérience qu'il sait apporter à une telle compétition, aux 20 juges et autres bénévoles qui ont rendu cette journée possible et agréable et bravo aux compétiteurs pour leurs belles performances et le bon esprit sportif qui ont su apporter à ce moment important d'apnée.
Merci au club du Galathéa de Saint-Gaudens pour son accueil convivial et sa logistique généreuse ainsi qu'au Maire de la commune grace à qui la compétion a pu avoir lieu, nous évitant ainsi l'annulation de dernière minute. Toute l'équipe d'organisation a été honnorée de sa présence, ainsi que celle de l'Adjoint au Sport de la ville, qui sont venus offrir et remettre des coupes aux vainqueurs du Combiné.
Stéphane Caumartin, Président de la CR Apnée
Vous trouverez les résultats complets en pièce jointe (des photos suivront prochainement...)