This year LBS added another component to their admission process – video interviews. Here is the relevant part from the post on LBS admissions blog:
“This year we are introducing a video submission element for all candidates who reach the interview stage. This was not a decision we took lightly. We’ve been considering making this introduction for a couple of years. We piloted the process last year with a few candidates, to help us assess English language skills. But this year we are going all-out and using the videos to help us learn a lot more about you.
I want to take this opportunity to reassure all interviewees that we are being very thoughtful about how we use this exciting new addition to our process. The team have carefully considered what our expectations are and the limitations of the new addition. We recognise that we need to consider cultural differences, as we do with everything, because we have such an international community. Some people will feel a lot more comfortable than others filming themselves answering questions. And some professional backgrounds train you to carry out such activities. We are NOT looking to use this as a tool to disqualify candidates or ‘catch you out’. Quite the opposite – it is another opportunity to shine and help us get to know you. Don’t even worry (too much) if you don’t time your answers perfectly – we won’t deduct points. We just want to see how you perform on both the prepared question and the unprepared section. We love meeting candidates at events, but it’s not possible to meet you all, so this helps us see you in action.”
INSEAD published essay questions for its MBA program beginning in September 2017 and introduced a new element to its application – a video interview each candidate will have to undergo after submitting his or her application.
Video Interviews (from September 2017 intake onwards)
Upon submission of your application form, you will receive a message requesting you to record video interviews through Kira Talent. You will also be able to access this from your online application dashboard. Please complete your video interviews within one week of submitting your application. Through the videos we hope to get a deeper insight into your background.
- Briefly summarise your current (or most recent) job, including the nature of work, major responsibilities, and where relevant, employees under your supervision, size of budget, clients/products and results achieved. (short answer) *
- What would be your next step in terms of position if you were to remain in the same company? (short answer) *
- Please give a full description of your career since graduating from university. Describe your career path with the rationale behind your choices. (short answer) *
- Discuss your short and long term career aspirations with or without an MBA from INSEAD. (short answer) *
- If you are currently not working or if you plan to leave your current employer more than 2 months before the programme starts, please explain your activities and occupations between leaving your job and the start of the programme. (optional)
- Give a candid description of yourself (who are you as a person), stressing the personal characteristics you feel to be your strengths and weaknesses and the main factors which have influenced your personal development, giving examples when necessary (approximately 500 words). *
- Describe the achievement of which you are most proud and explain why. In addition, describe a situation where you failed. How did these experiences impact your relationships with others? Comment on what you learned(approximately 400 words). *
- Describe all types of extra-professional activities in which you have been or are still involved for a significant amount of time (clubs, sports, music, arts, politics, etc). How are you enriched by these activities? (approximately 300 words) *
- OPTIONAL – Is there anything else that was not covered in your application that you would like to share with the Admissions Committee? (approximately 300 words)